View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #37
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Last Sunday I towed the 3023 from OC CA to Morgan Hill, near San Jose, CA. Distance is about 400 miles. I towed at 55 mph mostly on cruise control. My mileage according to the truck computer was 15.8. I can't complain.

I can sure see why Wayne likes this place. Its absolutely gorgeous this time of year. Now if I could only get people to stop screaming at me when they see my NRA sticker.

Tom
Even when towing, most gas goes to wind resistance on the highway at steady speed. Wind resistance increases with the square of the speed, so it works out that going 65 instead of 55 theoretically costs about 40% more gas. Or, at 65 instead of 60 you'd expect about 17% worse gas mileage. Tire resistance (the second biggest factor) and things like engine friction are linear by the mile, regardless of speed (assuming you're still in the same gear).

So your gas mileage at 65 would hypothetically be about 11.3 instead of 15.8 at 55.

In addition, going 55 vs 65 is about a 40% decrease in stopping distance, according to a table published by the Oregon Highway Department. From the perspective of this hugely important factor in safety, it invites a comparison between towing a 4000# trailer versus a 6666# trailer by going 55 instead of 65 (or, if you prefer, towing a 2400# trailer versus a 4000# trailer, just by driving 10mph slower). Taking it easy gives you more safe towing capacity. Going faster gives you less.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote