View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #39
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloh View Post
I've ordered these (ebay photo) from ebay, $8.99 for 4 stems incl. shipping, am awaiting arrival this week. They appear to be the same as I saw at other vendors for a bit more (they get you on the shipping cost), though I didn't check NAPA. I thought these looked short, which might be a little better for mounting tire pressure monitors on them.
That's a pretty good deal.

We had the following happen to another member, which is why I am going to explain it again. In your pic, you will notice that there are two rubber grommets on each stem. They include the two grommets, depending on which size valve stem hole you have in your wheel. The grommet at the bottom of the stem is the one that will fit standard trailmanor wheels, and actually most wheels in general. It is for a .453 valve hole.

The rubber grommet at the top of the stem is for a size .625 valve hole. Most likely, your wheel valve stem hole is not this size, so you just THROW it away. You will NOT use both grommets. You would just use one, and if you had to use the .625 one, you would slide the .453 off and replace it with the .625 one. You DO NOT use one on the inside and one on the outside (which another one of our members had happen to him at a tire store, as they incorrectly installed these stems in his wheels).

I am telling you this, so you can watch and make sure the tire guy does it right, as he may not have experience with a clamp-in stem. Take the top rubber grommet off, unscrew the nut, and remove the chrome washer. Set these aside.

1.You will slide the correct rubber grommet on the metal stem, all the way down to the base, with the thin side facing up to the top of the stem. You most likely will not have to change anything, as the .453 grommet is already in the correct place, according to your pic

2. Now, you will insert the stem from inside the wheel, making sure the thin part of the grommet seats in the valve hole. This is important, cause if the thin part doesn't actually fit up in the hole correct, it will not seal right. I usually just spin the stem with my fingers, while inserting it, to make sure it fits in the hole correct.

3. Now, while holding pressure on the stem, to keep the grommet seated...put the chrome washer on the stem from the outside of the rim...then the nut itself. Tighten it all down (making sure the rubber grommet stays seated in the valve hole).

You don't want to overtighten the nut, as you can actually cut the rubber grommet with the bottom of the metal stem. You also don't want to undertighten it either. I usually do it by feel. You will not just keep tightening it till it stops.