View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Philip

Default Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Phil,

Wayne,

I am thinking much like you. I will get and "D" rated tire and probably run it at 60-65 PSI. Plan to keep an eye on center tread wear

I just haven't quite decided to get Maxxis or Goodyear brand. I guess there is probably no difference.

Planning a trip to the northern parks and Canada this summer for ~3 months.

Happy trails,

Phil

2008 2720 TM - soon with 15" wheels!
2005 Toyota 4Runner, V8 TV

I went through the same process that you did. I figured that I was upgrading from tires that were rated @ 1875# each (which is what comes from the factory). I figured that going with a 35% increase in capacity was a sufficient margin to make me feel comfortable with the tires under any conditions that I will ever use them in.

The Maxxis that I purchased from "Just Tires" had a date code of 2810. They ordered them from a local warehouse that had plenty of the "D" or "E" tires in stock (at that time).

According to the Maxxis manufacturer, I could run my tires @ 50PSI. I run them @ 60PSI and I feel comfortable there. After-all, I was running 50PSI on the lower rated tires that I took off and that pressure supported the trailer just fine. I would think that 60-65PSI in "E" rated tires would be more than enough too but to each his own.

My thinking is that if the tire pressure is too high for the load, one may experience uneven tire wear in the center of the tire tread.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote