View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #84
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
The rear end ratio is likely to be more about durability than anything else because lower gears mean lower transmission stresses as well as better engine leverage (and probably lower gas mileage too). By making the rear end ratio a user selectable option, manufacturers can extend the operational range of the product line a bit, which is also great for marketing reasons.

But it doesn't make any difference where the manufacturer chooses to gear things as long as they do a good job at it. In other words, we don't particularly care whether they set the ratios at the transmission, the rear end, or the size of the drive wheels as long as the end result is appropriate.
That's correct. My TV is a case in point.

I almost did not buy this truck because it has a 3:23 final drive ratio with the 4.8L V8. I purchased the truck with every intention of installing a 3:73 ring & pinion.

However, after towing TM for several thousand miles and a couple trips over the Rockies with elevations to 11K', I have been pleasantly surprised with this combination.

When climbing steep grades, I just slip it into 2nd and set the cruise control @ 52MPH. The engine turns a happy 3300RPm which is close to it's optimum torque range and far from over-revving. There is no strain on the engine, it runs normal temps and the trans runs normal temps. I happily pass about any RV on the road and have the ability to accelerate to 65MPH (in 2nd) if need be (for passing) without red-lining the engine.

If I switched to the 3.73 gears, I don't think that I would be as happy with the over-all performance and MPG.