Thread: 17-days in Utah
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #100
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm glad this worked - but I'm also surprised. Presumably the water flowing into the tub went down the tub drain, into the gray water tank, and then out through the Slinky hose and into the campground sewer connection? The thing I would worry about (and have experienced, in Grants, NM) is that some of the trickling water flow in the Slinky will freeze, gradually building up a layer of ice inside the hose. Eventually the ice builds up to the point where it totally blocks the hose - and then things get interesting.

When I did this in NM, the campground owner happened by as I was disconnecting the Slinky in hopes of finding a way to thaw it. He warned me not to pick up the hose, saying that a frozen hose is locally known as "horns", because it is common to see a camper with a frozen hose over his shoulders (looking like a longhorn), walking over to the dumpster. Why the dumpster? The plastic of the hose is very fragile, especially when cold, and any movement drives the ice through it and ruins the hose.

I won't mention whether I had horns that day.

And of course, once the drain hose freezes, the water backs up into the grey tank, and then into the tub, and (if you trickle long enough) onto the floor in the bathroom. Been there, too, though not as part of a freeze.

Bill
Hi Bill,

I can see how this could happen. I think my saving grace was the amount of time was only 4-days in such harsh temps and that I ran enough hot water that the sewer hose didn't build up with ice. I left my gray valve open and I also made certain to have a good, uniform slope on the hose using a hose support to eliminate low points.

BUT as I saw, once things start freezing, it's not long before other things start to freeze and then it's really bad news. I brought along three extra sewer hoses because I have read they are so fragile to freezing temps. Luckily the original is still hanging in there.

I wonder how effective the insulation for pipes is on multiple days of below freezing temps. It seems it would be good for overnight freezing temps with above freezing days, but I wonder how well it would work for multiple days with below freezing temps. Any insight/experience?

Bob.