View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geek View Post
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the feedback, great job on your installation very clean, well done. You mention you have your panels permanently installed now. From what I remember initially you had them setup so you could remove them and store them on the bed inside the RV to avoid theft while park at your apartment complex. Either way, very clean job. I based much of my decision to go with 160 watt setup after reading your posts describing how well that panel configuration worked for you. Thanks again for the helpful posts.

The 4 GA wire I was referring to is included in the installation cabling kit Cobra sells for their 1500W inverter I am installing. It's for the short run from the batteries to the inverter. They provide both 4GA and 8GA in the kit. The wire from the panels to the battery is much smaller, more like you describe you are using.

Thanks,

Bob.
The removable installation that I did was on my previous TM. I recently bought a 2004 2720SL. The roof A/C made the removable panels impractical (my previous TM was a '98 with side mount A/C).

I understand now about the 4G wire for the inverter. I used 2G wire for my 2500W inverter. I may not install an inverter in this camper. We only used it for popping pop-corn, heating the occasional left-overs and once or twice (in 4 years) for the hair dryer.

I have a smaller (400-800W) inverter that we plug into the 12V receptacle inside the camper. I think that we may make due with that. I just can't justify spending another $300 for a new inverter for as little as we used it.

We bought a Coleman, propane coffee maker last year and that took care of our need to use the inverter (during quiet hours) to make coffee. In fact, we no longer bring the generator with us at all anymore.