View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We've had a 160W system on our TM for 14 camp-outs now (most were 4 days).

I have them permanently mounted on the roof because we mostly beach camp. However, even on camp-outs with partial shading or cloudy days we have almost always had full batteries by the end of the day (usually by 2:PM).

We do not have LED lights. We never monitor our usage (run around turning off lights) and we use our inverter on occasion. We use our furnace set @ 70*.

We have a PWM controller and I used 10G marine wire (16' run).

I think that you will be quite happy with your set-up. Th ability to move the panels to full Sun could give you up to double my output on any given day.

As to this question:
"Ok then if question 1 = NO and 2 = YES then it seems a simple analogy could be that my batteries are a water tank. The solar panels are like a hose flowing IN to the tank. My appliances are like a drain flowing OUT of the tank. IF I have more water coming IN throughout the daytime (active power state for panels) will my batteries remain and be fully charged at the end of that daytime period? Is it that simple?"

The answer is "Yes".....it is basically that simple.

The solar array is nothing more than a battery charger. Your 12V supply to your camper always comes from the battery (unless you are 110V hook-ups).

BTW.........unless you are using 100' of cable (from your panels to the battery) 4G wire is way over-kill and will be clumsy and difficult to work with. Someone is likely to steal your system for the wire more than for the panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03606.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	5323