View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
You are correct, the panels generate 17.2V @4.65a, but what comes out of the charge controller is about 14V at max of 4.65a. ( 17.2V would damage the battery).A good way to check is to actually measure the current out of the charge controller under heavy load. Also keep in mind when connecting your inverter, you will need very heavy short cabling as it will require about 130+ amps from the battery if you ever use all 1500 watts.
Thanks for the information. For wiring, I ordered the installation cabling they sell for this unit which uses 4 GA cabling. The lengths will be the shortest possible without mounting the inverter outside, which would only gain me 6" or so, being just on the otherside of the wall I will be mouting to. It will be located inside the RV under the curb side dinette seat mounted on the front bulkhead. I plan on adding some open framing around the inverter to make sure a clear air area is maintained to provide ample space for proper venting/cooling. If heat ends up being a problem I may mount it outside.

For battery monitoring I ordered the newer Clipper battery monitor shown here in the link below. After reading through the forum it sounds like this is an acceptable monitor that provides crucial information necessary to get the most out of this system:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Hopefully when this project is complete I will have a solar system in place that works well enough to allow fairly long, power conserving camping trips without too much pain and sacrifice.