View Single Post
Old 08-07-2003, 09:23 AM   #39
Papa_Smurf

Default Re:Distance Between Tire, Outigger, and Wheel Well?

There has been a lot of good information on this topic. I have a couple of observations and I’m also looking for some feedback.

I have a ’99 3023 and have had two blowouts using 205/75/14. I think the weight safety margin between my TM and the tires is too close for comfort. After checking the new models, it seems the factory has come to the same conclusion. New 3023s come with 225/75/15. The location of the outrigger on my trailer is flush with the wheel well, but on the new trailers it is located about two inches behind the wheel well to allow for the larger tires.

My plans:
1. I have already installed the factory lift kit to give me more clearance between tire and wheel well.
2. Perform the round wheel well conversion, to minimize damage to wheel wells.
3. Relocate the outriggers (cutting and re-welding) approximately two inches behind wheel well.

I currently have 1.25” clearance between tire and skirt as well as 1.5” clearance between tire and frame. According to the Goodyear chart ( http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/..._marathon.html ) the difference in width between the two tire sizes is 0.8”. This should mean that I will loose less than 0.5” of clearance of either side of the tire.

4. The final modification is to create a skid plate to protect the plumbing in the event I suffer another blowout.

My question is: Have I overlooked looked something?
Thanks for your help in advance.