View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Ken,
Yes, its big, 5100 empty weight. But if safety, comfort, and worry free loading matter, its worth it. Most DW's like safety and comfort, especially if there are kids/grandkids involved. A test drive at a local dealer's might open new possibilities. Just a thought.

My .02

Tom
I also have a crew cab truck. I just used it last week to bring a ton of base rock home, so they hd to weigh it.

Mine weighs 6,250 with half a tank of gas, no cargo and not even me in it.

At about 22 feet long, it is not a good idea to take it to the shopping mall around Christmas.

My wife likes the 2500HD with the 8 foot bed better than the 1500HD with the 6.5 foot bed.

I air the tires down when running empty to soften the ride.

My daughter, at 5 foot 4, can tow the TM, but has a bit of a problem seeing anything close to the front bumper.

I alternate driving the two trucks to work, 20 miles round trip. I get 16 mpg empty on the freeway on a good day. 21.5 to 13.0 around town and 11.5 towing on the freeway.

But nothing else will haul the stuff I take with me. I had to stop using the 1500HD because I was unable to remove the wheel from the front TM jack due to the sag from the cargo load without using a bottle jack. That is one reason I upgraded to a bigger truck.