View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #26
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
It's probably OK to have the airbags, given that they were made by someone who thought about these things. But you're potentially exceeding your rated rear axle capacity and you would be violating your manufacturer's warranty if you did that.

Ratings are guidelines, and I share your lack of concern about a can of beans. But a weight distributing hitch keeps the trailer tongue weight from unloading the front wheels, which air bags can't do. So, you're still reducing the weight on your front wheels where most of your braking and all of your steering happens.

Regardless, you've taken quite a leap from that lofty "erring on the side of caution" perch you were posting from earlier in this thread.
Mr. Adventure,

First off, let me say that if my comments about towing with medium weight vehicles were offensive, I heartily apologize. I had no intention of "dissing" you or your Highlander.

I am not very worried about exceeding my axle weight. Here is why:

My model of F150 is available with five different "payload packages". Each one increases the payload by providing heavier spring support for the rear of the truck. There is a corresponding increase in the GVWR of the truck.

My truck has the 1680# payload package with a GVWR of 6900#. One can also order an 1870 payload package with a GVWR of 7350. All of these trucks (2X4) have the same axle!

Notice that on the same axle I have one can carry up to 190# more payload and have a GVWR that is 450# higher. But...still on the same axle. I could be wrong, but it looks to me that that axle is stronger than they are letting on.

If this is the case, I am nowhere near the limits on my axle with a 500# tongue weight. Plus, you just know that Ford has a liberal built in reserve factor in those numbers. Toyota undoubtedly has them as well. So I think that can of soup will damage neither my hitch nor my axle.

I am leaving on a trip Tuesday. If turn out to be wrong I will 'fess up upon my return.

One other thing: Regarding the unloading of the front axle. Do you mean to say that my front wheels are supposed to touch the ground ALL the time? Not just when I am braking?

Seriously, my truck weighs in at 5100# on a 145" wheelbase. The weight and length serve to lessen the unloading effect of hitch loads. So, I am not very worried about that issue.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote