View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
My understanding is that you have to get the factory installed tow package to get a 5200# tow rating on the Traverse. It's only 2000# otherwise. EDIT: And that tow package adjusts the shift points of your 6speed auto.

With the tow package, my only concern would be the tongue weight. I think the traverse hitch can only handle 500# (no WDH) or 600# (with WDH, they assume the WDH hitch takes 100# off the hitch?). Trailmanors tend to have high tongue weights, so I would just verify that your loaded trailmanor's tongue weight is less than 500#.

The Traverse's GVWR versus curb weight is looks pretty good. I think you have more payload capacity than my Tacoma.
I own a 2720, so my batteries are on the front. I think the 2720SL has the batteries in the rear. That will help a bit with tongue weight.

I carry 40 gallons of water. I think you have only a 20 gallon tank. Keep it empty when towing and that will help.

Try not to load heavy stuff in the rear of the TV. Floor of second row if there is room will get some of the weight forward, reducing rear sag. As far back as you can in the TM. This is likely the tub/shower, then the bathroom floor. This will get some weight behind the TM axle, lightening then tongue.

Be careful about loading too much heavy stuff in the TM, because you begin to risk overloading the axle or tires.

Like someone just said, almost no one will carry as much stuff as I do. Here is what I think I know.

The one time I weighed my TM it was 3380 pounds on the TM axle. I was loaded as heavy I thought I ever could, short of taking a rock collection with me. It was 3380, 120 pounds below the axle limit.

I never weighed the tongue. Assuming 600 pounds for the tongue then I am at 3980 pounds total. I usually claim that my guess is 4100 pounds. One of these days I will weigh the tongue.

fwiw, I was on some scales for base rock yesterday. My truck with no cargo, no people, half a tank of gas weighs 6520 pounds.