View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #47
namklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Hooking up (2) 12V batteries in parallel will still give you 12V......nothing else changes except you will have more capacity.

Whatever you do....DO NOT hook up your batteries like I have my (2) 6V batteries hooked up. I have them hooked up in series, which doubles the voltage to 12V. If you do that, you will have 24V and may damage your converter.

The second issue is, it is not recommended to hook (2) 12V batteries in parallel unless the batteries are matched. They are best if they are the same batteries, purchased at the same time and built in the same batch. Dissimilar batteries will have a hard time balancing and may cause issues. If you are going to use dissimilar batteries, it may be best to install them with a switch so that when one battery gets week, you can switch to the other battery.

*******underlined terms corrected********
Hi Wayne,

The first battery was just installed last Friday (the 15th), so I think I am ok with the age. I may have a difficult time in getting one from the same lot, but I will take that risk. I want the extra storage for dry camping and to allow the solar to do its work when we are away from the camper. This way, we have many more options on location and places to stay.

I did learn from my portable solar charger, that parallel is ok. So, this is my plan.

Why did you go to 2 6V batteries and not 2 12V? Again, I am looking for extended electrical use when dry camping.

Thanks,
karen