View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #43
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by namklg View Post
Hi,
Right now there is 1 12V battery. I would like to hook up a second 12V battery, but I need to see if the system will allow that to happen. I need to check the wiring gauges, the controller and such.
thanks,
karen
Hooking up (2) 12V batteries in parallel will still give you 12V......nothing else changes except you will have more capacity.

Whatever you do....DO NOT hook up your batteries like I have my (2) 6V batteries hooked up. I have them hooked up in series, which doubles the voltage to 12V. If you do that, you will have 24V and may damage your converter.

The second issue is, it is not recommended to hook (2) 12V batteries in parallel unless the batteries are matched. They are best if they are the same batteries, purchased at the same time and built in the same batch. Dissimilar batteries will have a hard time balancing and may cause issues. If you are going to use dissimilar batteries, it may be best to install them with a switch so that when one battery gets week, you can switch to the other battery.

*******underlined terms corrected********