View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
ED-n-KEL

There are several old threads about the pros & cons of each type of TV here. Search this conference.
I too prefer a van. I have owned and driven almost every type of van, from a mini, to a mid size, to a full size, to a HD full size. If ride quality and money is not an object, I would definitely recommend a 3/4 ton (HD) version of a standard length full size van.
(Avoid the extended versions)
They are sturdy, have a good long wheelbase (ie: 138") that supports true and straight towing, and have more than adequate cargo and tow rating (7000 lbs).
You may notice that the 1/2 ton versions have similar tow capacities to the 3/4 ton versions, but the cargo capacities and tank like suspension on the 3/4 ton versions are well worth it.
My personal "cons" on a van are the limited access to the engine compartment for maintenance, and the lower TC's as compared to a 3/4 ton pickup.
If you don't do your own auto maintenance, then you won't have issues...
If you don't plan on towing over 6000 lbs, you'll be fine...
If you would possibly upgrade to a full size TT later, then you may want to consider a crew cab 3/4 ton pickup truck with a camper top. This would give you similar cargo area as a van, but also give you much higher tow capacity (10,000-13,000 lbs) for a future 5th wheel application, as well as 4 wheel drive if desired.
If you must stick with a van, but want more TC, then you can also get the cargo versions of vans, which eliminates many comforts, but allows you to select larger engines, trannys, and rear axle ratios, to get the TC up to the 10,000 lb range.