View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
The plastic cover & electric cord / plug holder that's in the rear of my Elkmont has come loose. It is held on with 3 phillips head screws and caulked - I noticed that 2 of the screws had come loose and appear stripped. The cover is moving and will fall off soon if I don't take action.

What is the best approach to repair this? I don't feel like hauling this trailer 30 miles to the dealer for what appears to be a relatively minor issue.
First of all, as the owner of an Elkmont 24 I have discovered that in the process of assembling these trailers, the person/s doing the job just drive in the screws with a power drill. I have had so many screws falling out because the holes become too big to accommodate the screws. Where possible I have replaced the screws with a larger one. BUT I would suggest also using a bead of “Liquid Nails adhesive”. This is a small tube purchased at your local hardware store I believe the number is LN-207, (printed on the front lower left corner). I have used this stuff to attach fiberglass wall joint tape over the large openings in the top and bottom screen in the outside refrigerator vent area and it is holding up just fine. So if you try to use a bead of this all around the flange and than the next larger size screw, you should be fine.

On both sides at the front of the Elkmont I used 3-M’s exterior double sided tape to attached those little hooks to hold the baggage door open. I did not bother with screws and that too is holding up just fine.

Hope this helps.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote