View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mr. Adventure -

Thank you for doing the "insomnia check". These rules/laws/questions have been hanging around this forum for several years. With your help, I think the following is true. Do you agree?

The widest part of my vehicle (tow vehicle + TM) is the TM. The overall width of the TM, including porch lights and awning, is 96 inches. Therefore, the outside edges of my McKesh mirrors must be no more than 116 inches apart. (And of course no more than 10 inches outside the TM on either side.)

I believe that almost everyone on this board will fall into this same measurement. I haven't heard of any tow vehicles wider than 96 inches, and I think all TM years/models have the same width. (If your TM has no awning or street-side porch light, it might be 3 inches narrower.)

I also believe that 116-inch mirror spacing will enable the sight lines to cross less than 200 feet back, but I admit I haven't checked this. What I do know is that the 110-inch edge-to-edge spacing of my McKesh mirrors does give me converging sight lines, and if my calculations above are correct, the mirrors are spaced legally.

---------------------------------

Mr. Adventure, did you find a law regarding where (or if) the left and right sight lines must converge behind the vehicle? We've been talking 200 feet here on the board, but I find it hard to believe that these giant 70-foot semis, a full 102 inches wide, accomplish that feat. In fact, a quick calculation suggests that it is more like 700 feet. No wonder the drivers want you to position your car near the edge of the lane, so that you can see their mirrors.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote