Thread: Weird tire wear
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #22
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

FWIW, I just took some measurements on my tires. I just bought them in Grand Junction, CO in mid-June (~3 months ago) due to blowouts enroute on a transcontinental trip. From there, we traveled to the east coast, and then back home to Los Angeles, driving an additional ~6,000 miles over the course of about 6 weeks. Much of that was interstate, and the TM weighed about 4,100 lbs on that trip. For maybe 2,000 of those miles, tire pressure was 80 psi. That is the max pressure for the tire, at which is has a load capacity of 2830 pounds. Not a good idea....everything in the TM shakes....but I was paranoid about more blowouts. For the rest of the trip, they were 70 psi, and since we've been back, I now run them at 65 psi.

There are 4 tread grooves on each of my tires, and I just measured each one of them on both tires using a tire tread depth gauge. I have no idea what the depth was when I bought them, but I can tell you that every one of the grooves on both tires is 10/32". Thus, both tires appear to be wearing evenly, both across each tire individually as well as in comparison to each other.

I'm not sure if that data is worth anything, but I was curious myself so I thought I'd share.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote