View Single Post
Old 08-03-2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Joining the TM family, the snowball effect

[quote author=BobWilson link=board=1;threadid=154;start=0#msg1351 date=1051472819]
Sunshine,

"Pack the wheels" that means to fill the hub of the wheel axles with grease. This lubricates the bearings which keeps the friction to a minimum, and keeps the wheel bearings from wearing out. No grease, it gets hot, bearings seize and smoke and smells bad. Your damage may vary.

The grease nipple in the center of the axle is so you can grease the bearings with a grease gun without having to dissasemble anything. They may need cleaning and repacking periodically though depending on use. I don't know what the recommended schedule is.

This is probably more than you wanted to know.

Good luck
[/quote]

Hey Bob got me thinking here about bearings,

I have not and I am coming up on the one year mark for our TM and I think I may want to tackle this. I have never worked with an axel that has the bearing buddy before, and was wondering if this is really an easy task? From what I read elsewhere, I have seen that it is possible to "blow" the seals out and contaminate the brakes..has anyone had this happen?
The instructions seem straight forward..fill with grease until clean grease comes out, is that truly all there is?
For some reason, I get nervous when I start messing with the trailer wheels/axels. :P :P

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote