Thread: Honda Generator
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBillandJane View Post
Asssuming we buy a 2000 watt Honda generator:
1. How do you plug it in to the Trailmanor?
2. How long does it take to recharge the battery?
3. How often do you need to recharge?
4. What time of day is it socially acceptable to run this type of generator?
5. How much gas does it use? How much gas do take with you?
6. We tow with a truck with a covered bed and plan to run the generator in the bed of the truck. Any problems with this or carrying gas in the truck bed?
7. We think that we will be using the battery primarily for the heater fan and some lights, but what else do you think the generator could work while recharging the battery?
8 What is your experience about campgrounds banning or limiting use of generators?
9. Sometimes a family member who travels with us has to use an oxygen concentrater machine for COPD. Is it possible to connect the machine directly to the generator with an extension cord and run it all night?
10. We understand from reading the forum that you must have two Honda 2000 generators to run an air conditioner. What has been your experience if you have done this in areas of high temperature and high humidity?
1. To use the TM plug you buy an adapter which changes the 30A to a 15A plug that will plug into the generator. By plugging in a 2kW generator you will charge the batteries, use some lights, and run your microwave. You may not be able to heat water on electric while running the microwave. There are threads on the forum that discuss electrical loads of various appliances.

2. Depends on how much the battery has discharged, the ambient temperature, etc. Others will give their opinions. Mine is run the generator when permitted, you won't be discharging the battery then.

3. Once again, dependent on how you use your battery. If you are very frugal you might go a few days between charges. I am not that frugal.

4. More important is when will the campground permit it? If I am stuck with a bunch of Class A motorhomes running A/C, I will run a generator whenever I wish during daylight hours if permitted. Depends on the campground and circumstances.

5. I will defer, since I have only owned a Honda 1K, not a 2K.

6. Generators use a lot of air, make sure you keep the area well ventilated. Never fill your gas cans in the bed of the truck, put them on the ground. Gas vapors can accumulate in the truck.

7. Answered in no. 1

8. Most campgrounds have generator hours. I have not heard of banning. Call ahead and ask when they can be run. I would rather know in advance than be surprised when I arrive.

9. Yes, but once again some campgrounds do not permit generator use at night. My wife ran a CPAP on our boat with a Honda 1K for years.

10. If the generator setup handles the air conditioning, then it does not matter what the ambient conditions are. If it is hot and humid then the A/C will run a lot more. Keep in mind that you may be limited on what other appliances you can run while the A/C is on, but it will charge the batteries and you can run some lights.

If you are running A/C off a generator do NOT put the generator on energy conserving mode if it has one. The starting loads are much higher and the generator will not supply the load change quickly enough, run it in normal mode.

Good luck with your generator decision.