Thread: New VW SUV
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
efelker

Default Re:New VW SUV

Bill:

Well at least you wouldn't have to drive with one hand on the steering wheel while the other was scraping frozen condensation off the INSIDE of the windshield (Man, we loved those bugs). And at a starting price of $34,000, window cranks better not fall off.

Tongue weight rating is 616 lbs, and the actual max towing rating is 7700 lb.

That's pretty hefty for what is regarded as a mid-size SUV. It certainly beats my 4-Runner and puts it almost in the same range as a Tundra. And you are right, the frame is really beefy.

We weren't going to buy a new Tow Vehicle, but my wife loves her VWs. We've owned 11 of them since 1965 -- 7 of those have had over 100,000 miles, and one (a 90 Jetta) had 240,000 miles when we sold it. We had been toying with trading the 4-Runner for a Tundra, but my wife's just not wild about riding around in a Pickup truck (too sophisticated for that gun rack in the window and naked lady mud flaps I guess). She'd like another SUV that had greater tow capacity, but didn't want one of those behemoth's either. This vehicle seemed a good compromise on tow capability, comfort, and size (not to mention, marvelous Teutonic engineering)

Ed.