View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #25
PopBeavers

The only brands for ST I know of, for any size, are:

Marathons
Carlilse
Tow Master
Something from Europe

Going to LT gives you more choices, but the theory is that they would bounce too hard, not hold up to sunlight as well as ST, do not tolerate sitting around a lot, and do not scuff very well.

Is the hard bouncing a function of trailer weight? My TM is loaded the 3,380 on the 3,500 rated axle. For that kind of weight, would LT, having a stiffer sidewall, be acceptable?

My tires see very little sunlight because I store it in the garage and when camping I am in a dense forest.

We usually go camping for the weekend once a month from February through October. Is that sitting around a lot or is it adequate to keep the lubricants on the surface of the LT tires? Both of my trucks with LT tires sit around that much and they weigh about the same on each axle as the TM.

With a single axle, scuffing is essentially not an issue.

Carlisle has had a bad reputation for a long time.

My factory Marathons had a blow out after 3 years, plus 1 year on the shelf. That was a year short of the expected 5 years.

I have Tow Masters now, because that was what was easy to get when I decided I needed to replace the Marathons ASAP. Somewhat a random choice.

I never tow faster than 60 because the limit is 55 and I will only push it 5 mph over the limit.

I never tow more than 150 miles each way to where we camp for the weekend.

Frequently in the summer the outdoor temperature of 80-90 degrees. On a very rare occasion it will be 90-95.