View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default #1 thing, and #2 thing ....

#1. Don't run your TM tires at the "maximum cold PSI" marked on the sidewall. Instead, take your setup to a weight station, and find out the loading on the tires. You can weight the axle and divide by two, but it would be a useful learning experience to weight each of the TM tires individually. (Use the results to adjust your loading technique, keeping the load on the two tires in balance.)

Of curse, this measurement is taken with WDH cinched up, and with the TM loaded with "typical" travel contents. (Be sure to fill the water tank, if you'll be driving on rough roads with water tank filled -- something which you should avoid, if you can. Water is over 8 lbs per gallon, it's over 330 lbs to fill my 40 gallon tank and water lines.)

Then, use your tire manufacturer's "tire loading versus PSI table" to look up the recommended PSI for that loading. Add only 5 lbs of additional "safety factor".
- - - - -
Typical result? My 15" Marathon tires, on a heavily loaded 2619, should be pumped up to only 45-50 lbs. That's according to Goodyear, and they know their tires. The sidewall max is 65 lbs, and using that figure will shake your contents (and torflex axle) in the manner of Fred Flintstone's vehicle. Lots of TM owners just pump their tires to the max, and old TM manuals used to say that in the instructions. (I don't know if they still do.) Legally safer for them, but not really the right thing to do.

#2. Slow Down!