View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #16
TexasCamper

Default Long haul trips

My longest haul was last year's trip from Houston to AZ & UT (~3500 miles round trip). This year's trip to Rocky Mountain NP was ~2400 miles. No problems experienced. I split traveling days to ~7 hrs driving per day. This allows plenty of time to break down camp in the AM and plenty of time in the evening to let the kids play at the pool or the playground.

My question to the crowd: To push over 9+ hrs driving time per day, do you still "camp" in the TM or do you stay in a hotel? I'm thinking about using hotels while en-route for a future trip to WY.

My thoughts for a long haul:
(1) Service your TV one week ahead of your trip. The extra time is for the unexpected discovery or the need to switch to a 2nd service/repair shop. Do you need to buy tires?
(2) During your trip, check the pressure of all TV & TM tires regularly (every 1-2 days). Low tire pressure is one cause for tire blowouts.
(3) Think about buying gas when you hit 1/4 tank. I'm the kind of person who refills on "E". That's a bad habit when you're driving through a remote country.
(4) When you re-hitch, you'll need to regularly regrease your hitch ball and metal-to-metal points on weight distribution bars (for my WDH at least).
(5) Don't forget to double-check your TM lights when you rehook to your TV.
(6) Don't forget to switch your TM refrigerator back to battery mode if you camped and switched to shore-power mode.
(7) Driving through cities is my least favorite part. Know your route, stay in your lane, give yourself plenty of space, and swich lanes early when needing to exit.
(8) Travel light. We like to pick up most of our groceries at our final destination.
(9) We like to plan longer driving days when road terrain is easy/flat, and shorter driving days when road terrain is more difficult.
(10) Make sure you have all tools needed to actually change a tire!
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote