View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hmmm, not sure I agree. The series of lights is basically a four-step voltmeter. It is my experience that by itself, a fully charged battery will show 3 of the 4 lights. But the charger puts out a higher voltage - that's the only way it can force current into the battery - and the fourth light indicates this higher voltage. It doesn't tell you anything about how big the charge current is, but it does say that the charger is connected.

According to the manufacturer, the trip point for the fourth light is supposed to be 12.7 volts (lowered from earlier versions). Some sources say that a freshly-charged battery can rest at 12.7 volts, especially if the surface charge has not been removed, so I suppose that the light could light without the charger being on. I have never seen it do it, though, so I guess that's the source of my skepticism.

Bill
I just put my new AGM battery in last week, went inside the unit and all 4 lights were on. I don't dispute that the 4th light "C" will be on when shore power is connected, but a charged battery can also show it. I think we are arguing semantics a bit, but my point is that unlike a battery tender which will show amber changing to green, the top battery light is either on or off and does not indicate whether a battery is charging or charged. I guess that is why I state that there is no "charging" indication on a TM.