View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
Al-n-Sue

Default SUV as my choice

Ed - read your post on TVs with interest because I too have had those thoughts. However, I have a little different perspective. Here (in Colorado's "Front Range") my primary requirement for a "daily driver" is all wheel drive (which is different than 4 wheel drive). Since my daily driver has to be my TV as well, that requires an AWD TV. Because we do not have snow on the ground all the time, I need a vehicle that does not need to be switched (either manually or automatically) from 2WD to 4WD - and all the pickups and full size vans I've seen are of that variety. Crossover SUVs (with AWD) are marginal for my 3124 - since all are V6 engines.

So, my that leaves basically "full size" SUVs and pickups. I currently have a Durango (older body style-i.e. midsized) with AWD and have found it to be the best compromise of towing my TM and driving to work each day. My 5500 lbs tow rating is adequate for my 3124, although my 4.7L engine is a little weak on torque. Newer 4.7L engines from Chrysler are tuned for better torque.

The SUV is nice because I get 6-7 person seating if needed (typically not towing), ample rear storage with 4-5 people riding, and even more with only myself and DW when we tow. Also, most full size SUVs are frame and body construction instead of the "unibody" of most crossovers and small vans. I think that contributes to the sturdiness of the pickups - they are "trucks" after all!

Just my .02 worth. Be interested to hear other's opinions. Everyone has difference issues, so no one TV is right for all!

Alan