View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #27
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDog View Post
The MC-4 connectors seems pretty sturdy and seem like they would handle fairly frequent connecting/disconnecting.

They sell ends that you can attach to your own cable - for those you apparently need a special tool to make the connection water-tight.

For the pre-made cables they just click together. To release you squeeze a couple of tabs in and the connection comes apart.

I could actually probably get another 15-20' extension and use it to put one of the solar panels on a portable ground mount if I found myself someplace where there was too much shade on the roof.....hmmmm...
The connectors that I purchased don't need a special tool. Although, I did solder the actual wire connector onto the end of the wire before assembling (instead of just crimping it).

There is a nut that you put on the wire first. Then you solder the wire connector to the wire, push the connector into the housing. Then screw the nut onto the housing. The housing has a special seal that tightens against the wire as you tighten the nut.