View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Joseph

Default Where to indeed!

I know of which you speak and feel your pain. I cringe at the thought of having to replace my TV. The truck I have, a 1997 Chevrolet Cheyenne 4x4 - K2500, is a bit dated compared to today’s wonder machines. My truck is only rated for pulling 6000 lbs. Compared to the big Toyota truck and Nissans big truck I might as well keep my dog on the porch. Good thing I have a TM to tow and not something heavier. Good thing my Chevy is more of a hobby than a vehicle that is driven every day as it never has learned to sip fuel. It guzzles! But I wanted to throw something out there to the group regarding where we are all headed. Something to chew on. There is no right or wrong answer to this, just individual choice and I just want to stir the pot a little to see what comes to the top..

My father-in-law recently purchased a tractor from an Indian company called Mahindra. It has a diesel engine. He swears by it. Says he will hook it up to any American made tractor of comparable size and pull it around the field. Well, I am not a farmer and I know nothing of tractors. But they make trucks too. From their website . . .

Established in 1945 as a franchise for assembling jeeps from Willys, USA, the company soon began manufacturing light commercial vehicles and agricultural tractors, emerging as one of India’s leading auto brands. Today, the Mahindra Group is a leading manufacturer of multi-utility vehicles with significant presence in key sectors like automotive, farm equipment, financial services, trade and logistics, automotive components, after-market, IT and infrastructure.

Anyone who helped make the venerable Willys cannot be all bad...

Now I am one of those, some would say foolish, folks who even though aware of a global economy cannot bring myself to purchase a foreign car.

( Motorcycles are a different story - two Yamahas sit in the garage, but only because there is not an American motorcycle manufacture that make anything like a FJR-1300. )

( and yes I know there are foreign made bits and pieces in my American made vehicles. ) See, told you I was a bit foolish.

But I digress.

One thing that Nature abhors is a vacuum. Where there is a need and money someone usually comes along with something to sell. It may not look like something we are used to. It may come with a funny sounding name. But somewhere, there will be an answer for us. Me thinks it may come in the form of a small diesel engine. Perhaps turbo charged? If history can be used as a guide, it will be made by someone overseas with technology America started and failed to capitalize on.

In the mean time I will keep my Chevy alive as long as possible.