View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
SCBillandJane

You can see what we have a 3124 but with an extra large tow vehicle. We have towed over 20,000 miles from Alaska to Key West without any sway except for one time in Florida. We were returning to SC from the Everglades. There had been stormy weather with heavy rain all day. We were on the interstate going through Jacksonville on one of those high bridges over some water when a very strong gust of wind hit us from the side and shoved us half a lane sideways. Both truck and trailer were shoved the same amount and there was no loss of control. Then came the next unexpected thing. As we came over the top of the bridge a full size pick up pulling a large cargo trailer had lost control in front of us and had jack knifed on the bridge blocking our lane. We stopped on the wet bridge without a problem, but it was a while before our breathing returned to normal.
I can't say that a Jeep Liberty would have had trouble controlling the Trailmanor in this situation. I can say that I was glad I was towing with my truck. The above situation was so unexpected because of the location and previous towing experience. Both my wife and myself believe that the truck and trailer combination is less affected by wind than our other vehicle ( a Toyota 4 Runner ) by itself.
In summation, I think that your combination has a good chance to work well in Florida at lower speeds, for short trips, with the right hitch equipment, and in good weather. I still wouldn't do it. There is always going to be that unusual set of conditions and that is why I bought a large truck. IMO I traded a small amount of gas milage for a large improvement in safety.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote