View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #9
lnussbau

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPTENT View Post
Good morning folks:

I've posted before looking for Trail Mini input and also towing questions regarding a 2720. Now, our attention is directed solely towards the Elkmont. I wish there was a shorter model than 24' + but it is a beautiful trailer and would serve our needs for the next 15 years.

My question is my tow vehicle and mountain towing from the SF Bay Area through the Sierras and the Rockies to eastern Colorado and back each year.

The weight of the Elkmont would be around 3000 lbs. before another 600-800 lbs. of "stuff" is added. Is a 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 130" wheelbase, 4.6 liter V8, and 7000 lbs. towing capacity OK for the frontal area of an upright trailer for the elevation changes we would encounter yearly on our SF/Colorado trips?

Thanks for any feedback!

PUPTENT and wife
SF Bay Area
I used to tow my 2720SL with a V-6 Sport Trac. It was just fine until I hit the 5% and greater grades, when I was reduced to doing 30 mph or less, running near 4,000 RPM up those long grades. There was ONE spot I came across on a narrow, slow, very steep road that I almost didn't make it up -- had to back up a little and try again. Down wasn't much different than my current F-150, except that I had to be even more careful about hot brakes.

Since I estimate my 2720SL is about 4,000 lbs when towing, it boils down to wind resistance as the possible problem. In still air you'd probably not have a problem, but raise the wind to 15 knots or better on the nose, and you might have a bit of a struggle. On the tail, of course, it'd be a breeze (pun intended).