View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
PopBeavers

The one time I weighed my 2005 TM 2720, it weighed 3,380 pounds on the axle. I did not weigh the tongue. I estimate that total TM weight was about 4,100 pounds. I ahve documented a pretty complete list before of what I ahd loaded.

I overloaded it with everything I thought I might want to ever take with me. I wanted to simulate the heaviest situation I could image. I was full of water, but the holding tank was empty. I had the floor so full of chairs, tables, generator, etc. that I don't think I could have put much more in.

If anyone ever exceeds what I did, then they must have a rock collection.

TMs are designed with the axle a little further back than you would normaly find in a different design. This results in a very stable tow configuration. A TM should never need sway bars, unless you tow with a very short wheelbase vehicle. It also results, I think, in the TM tongue weight being a bit heavier than the traditional 10 to 15 percent. But because the TM is so light, that is still an acceptable tongue weight.

When I was towing with my little truck (2002 Silverado 1500HD crew cab, 4wd, 6.0 gas, 6.5 foot bed) I was advised by the factory that I would not need WD bars. My truck rear bumper used to sag about 5/8 inch when I hitched up the TM. Now that I carry 2 offroad motorcycles in the truck, plus gas and tools, the truck sags more and I can not get the TM wheel off of the tongue jack because it hits the ground. I solved that problem by switching to a 2008 2500HD Sierra 2500HD crew cab, 4wd, 6,0 gas, 8 foot bed. The Silverado is now used to tow the ATV trailer.

I have no information regarding towing a TM with any other truck.

A general rule of thumb is that a typical family will carry about 1,000 pounds of stuff beyond the base weight of the traieler. In my exerience, that is a very good rule of thumb. It is possible to travel lighter, but I never do.