View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I hate to say it again, but on the tow ratings page, Trail Manor says

"Adding options, batteries, gear, fluids can increase loaded weights as much as 1000 pounds above the base weight of a specific trailer. You should add 500- 1000 pounds to the base weights to estimate the actual towed weight." Sorry, I find it hard to call that deceptive. By contrast, if you go the web site for Hi-Lo - TM's main competitor - you'll find that they link to the same Trailer Life list of tow vehicle ratings, but make no statement about the real towed weight of a Hi-Lo. Nor does anything appear on the FAQ page or the Specifications page. I think TM is one of the few manufacturers that is willing to make this statement - and although I can't prove it, I think TM does it as a result of the discussions on this forum.

There is lots of info in this forum about towing with a Cherokee, really starting with RockyMtnRay's stories in 2002 of towing with his Cherokee in the Rockies. After some discouraging attempts, he finally traded it in for a Tundra. As I recall, part of his disillusionment was in the relatively short wheelbase of the Cherokee, that always made him feel he was right on the edge of control. You can use the Search tool on the word Cherokee to find a lot of it, if it will help at this point.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote