View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We had a thread on this topic a year or so ago, but I can't find it at the moment. I'm not sure we reached any useful conclusions. Like others, I have experienced what I describe as "pounding" on these concrete roads. It is intensely annoying, but it never threatened to take control of the vehicle. In your case, does it feel like you might lose control if you had to make a quick maneuver? Or like the front end is threatening to bounce up off the pavement?

By any chance do you have anything heavy stashed way back in the trailer? Like a bike rack on the rear bumper? That can amplify the effect. And have you adjusted your WDH using the procedure outlined in the Tech Library (TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else)? If you weren't using a WDH, the unweighting of the vehicle's front end can make it more susceptible to porpoising. A WDH that is adjusted much too lightly would produce some of the same feeling.

There is one possibility that I have found. The tires in your truck are probably inflated to the pressure listed on the label on the driver's door. This is a "comfort" setting, intended by the mfr to produce a soft comfy ride without costing too much in the way of mpg. Next time you are going out, take a look at the sidewall of the truck's tires, and find the Max Allowable Pressure. Inflate the tires to a couple psi below this. The stiffer tires may make the ride better. In my Explorer, I think I increase the pressure from 35 psi (comfort) to 40-42 psi (Max is 44). I hope that Bobby (wmtire) will chime in on this particular thought.

But when you hit one of these concrete slab roads, I don't think anything is going to entirely eliminate the pounding.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote