View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Glad to hear the trip was good. The handling should definitely NOT be squirrelly. If you're experiencing that, I don't think the lift caused it. Squirrelly handling is often the result of too much weight in the rear of the trailer (behind the axle), and too little in the front. Can you move 100 pounds or so (or even add 100 pounds) as far forward as possible? Once you've done so, try it out again.

Another possibility, and one that is easier to check out. Since you have an Expedition, a big vehicle, you shouldn't feel much squirrelliness unless the trailer weight distribution is really off. But the problem might arise because of too little air in the Expedition's tires. The pressure in your Expedition's tires is probably set according to the label on the driver's door frame. That is the "cushy ride" pressure. Instead, take a look at the sidewalls of the tires and find the Max Pressure statement. Increase the tire pressure to about 5 pounds less than that, and try it again. I bet you'll find it's lots better.

I know that my Explorer feels like this, and it is really disconcerting. In my case, the door post says 32 psi, and the tires say 44 psi max. When I am towing the TM, I run the tires at 40 psi, and I can feel the dfifference. Firms things right up. Then, when the trip is over and I get back home, I bleed them back down to 32 psi if I remember to do it - it is not critical.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote