View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Hi all!

I'm a new "owner" of a 2720SL ("new" because I haven't yet taken delivery from the dealership). I haven't yet wired my 2006 Sienna for towing, that's the next project.

My Sienna has a 110V outlet in the rear of the van that can be turned on/off with a switch from the dashboard. Reading just about everything I can in this forum, I haven't seen that outlet addressed anywhere, which makes me wonder: does anyone have a thought as to how it can be used?

Since I haven't wired the van yet, and I need to wire for the brake controller as well, I'm certain I'll need to pull the wires back from the battery anyway. So I don't see any utility there. What I am wondering out loud about is, is there any thought to somehow using that plug for the fridge, rather than relying on the 12V/converter system to both charge the battery and power the fridge? Would it make any sense to those more seasoned than I to somehow do that? It would mean (a) easier times at rest stops, because I wouldn't have to worry about disconnecting anything from battery to fridge, because either that outlet turns off with the ignition key, or the switch which is easy to reach; and (b) perhaps less concern with incomplete battery charging from TV due to fridge draw (as some have had issue with); and (c) can run fridge in more effective 120V mode. Downsides would be (a) need for an additional extension cord/hookup; (b) need to rewire the fridge to allow this connection; (c) could make hookup at campsite to 120V trickier?

Here's where I throw myself on the mercy of the forums! Any thoughts? Any thoughts other than the fridge hookup?

Thanks!

Marc
Do you know what the wattage is on the inverter in the Sienna? This may be a non-issue anyway, unless the inverter is around 700-1000W.

If the inverter is large enough to run the fridge, I'd do it. It would be more efficient than running off of 12V DC. If it's rated at 1000W or higher, you could plug the entire camper into it and charge your battery at the same time, thus eliminating the need for a separate 8G, 12V line from the TV battery back to the trailer hitch.

In the event of an accident, the inverter is fused. However, if it is raining and someone gets zapped with 1500W (inverter's possible surge capacity) I suppose it could get exciting. I think that chances are about as high as getting hit by lightening under the same circumstances but that's just my opinion........I'd probably be the 1st guy getting shocked.

Trust me....if there were the slightest risk of this being a safety issue in the event of an accident, the factory would not put it on the vehicle.