View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
SuzieQ16

Default Help! Another Problem with Those Back Lights

We currently have our 1998 3023 parked in the driveway again getting it ready to take down to the bay. Yesterday, I had an RV electrician guy (68 yrs. old and been in the business a long time) come and spend about 2 1/2 hrs. trying to figure out those back lights and why they kept blowing the fuse out. He ended up having to leave to go get another person set up (I suspect also a Hurricane Ike victim) so he could spend the night in his trailer in Highlands. TX. Now, the electrician has not seen the TM(s) before but has worked on pop-ups for years. He appears to be stymied by the aluminum walls as far as trying to trace back through them to find the (supposedly short). When we bought the trailer in November, the back lights worked fine (I realize the bathroom walls have to be up and I told him all that) and when we got them home they worked fine for the first week or so. Then when we had a painter guy come in and paint the interior and my husband lowered the bath walls to allow him to paint in the corners, and put the bath back up is when the problems started. At the same time, NONE of the plugs would work (the trailer is plugged in to a 110 plug in the garage - which by the way ran the air cond. fine). Well, our son-in-law (who is brilliant!) came one day for a few minutes and showed us how to re-set the breaker for the plugs (nothing but a small lamp was ever plugged into one plug but, when we took the TM down to store it for the holidays and while we got a new roof and brought it back and set it up the breaker was tripped again.) But, that obviously has nothing to do with our current problem? I think the elec. guy is is also wondering how he's going to pull new wiring through the walls when he finds the source of the short. Right now he has the converter? box on the outside wall of bathroom near the floor, pulled out along with all the back light fixtures dropped. He's due back here today to search and work some more

Whew, I know this is a lot, but I am hoping some of you all might have some suggestions to help him along. My husband is strictly a computer person and doesn't know about anything electrical and I probably only a smidgen more. The electrician doesn't do computers, I gather, but I can print out something and give to him to try. All I see are $$$ adding up for his time! Thanks in advance.

Sue