View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
jasongold

Default Minivan Towing prep list

Hi guys,

A big Thank You to all the folks who post - I've been spending the last few weeks reading the old threads, and I've learned a tremendous amount.

Plan:

My wife and I are towing a 2720 with an 06 Quest 3.5L minivan. This summer we will put 10,000 on the odometer - the San Diego area through Flagtaff/Albuquerque to Georgia, up to NY and back - maybe through Colorado. We both teach, our kids are two and four yrs old, and we love the road.

Goal: TO NOT DESTROY THE TRANSMISSION!

Prep List:

1) 1000-10,000 pnd WDH
2) Synthetic oil.
3) Synthetic transmission fluid.
4) An auxiliary transmission cooler. (What's the biggest I should get? Any recommendations?)
5) Only drive with high-octane when towing.
6) Considering air bags for back to smooth out ride post-WDH adjustment, but doesn't sound like it's worth it according to others on the forum.
7) We will wake at 4:00 am to drive when in the mountains (I do that anyway - lets the kids sleep on the road) to take advantage of cooler air, denser oxygen layer near the ground.
8) Never drive UP a hill or mountain with overdrive engaged.

Is there anything else I can do to prepare and maintain the Quest when towing?

I've read all the warnings, weighed the options (can't afford a new TV when still paying for the Quest), and we know will be risking the transmission- just want to minimize the risk.

Thanks,

Jason