View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
harveyrv,

Checked the sticker and the GAWR (rear) is 2800#.
Also, the dry wt on the Taco is published as 3705#.

How is the loading calculated for the GAWR (rear)?
Just a guess here...
.5(dry vehicle wt + payload wt) + 400 (tongue wt max) + ? = X
Fyi, I was planning to probably use a WDH on whichever vehicle used,
so that should shift some of the load to the front.

I don't think I'll exceed it on either vehicle, but curious how it's all figured.

Thanks.

Btw, I think I'll start another thread on brake controllers after doing some research...
I'm getting alot of good info from the forum, thanks again all.

D.
You're close.......

You should have the dry weight for your frt & rr axle. It won't be .5 each.

It looks like you are in the ball park without problems. However, you can't really "Calculate" any weights that are not affixed to your vehicle. It is particularly difficult to calculate frt & rr axle (Loaded) weights, particularly when using a WDH. All you can do is "Ball park" it and hope for some cushion. If there's no cushion, you may not have a good fit.

Technically, the formula would look like this:
Axle dry weight + all loads = GAW and that should not exceed GAWR. If you exceed the GAWR it could effect braking efficiency and suspension part reliability.

I really don't know what % of the tongue wt is transfered to the front on different models of WDH. It all depends on how it is adjusted also. I would imagine that it would be somewhere in the ballpark of 50% of the tongue weight. It's best to work with real #s on that one.

I can't emphasize enough that the critical # is your GCVWR......All the other stuff just has (mostly) to do with wear & tear on your TV. What the law requires is that your TV is capable of stopping the total pkg within a certain guideline.

Once you have the trailer loaded and hitched up, you can take it to the scales to see what reality is. Until then.....it's mostly an estimating game, to some degree.