Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2001, 08:38 AM   #7

Default Re: Tires

:My 1999 2720 had carlisle tires with less than 5000 miles on them at the time one blew out.  I had less than 1/2 of an inch clearance on the curb side of the trailer between that tire and the frame member which has since been adjusted.  The tire literally ran into the frame at speed as or before it came apart doing a lot of damage to the wheelwell.

I took it to the Trailmanor factory and they denied any responsibility for it.  

In doing research on the problem, I discovered several common areas that could contribute to the problem no matter who the manufacturer is.  They all say the major cause of tire failure is 1] underinflation, and 2] overloading.
I maintained my tires at the recommended pressure of 50 lb.  However, when it comes to loading, I find that like most of us, I was running pretty close to the recommended limits.  

There is one area however, that most have not mentioned in their correspondence.  That area is in dynamic balancing of the tire/wheel.  Most manufacturers do not balance their wheels because they run solid axles.  The Trailmanor has swing axles which mimics independent wheel suspension to a point.  Trailmanor does not balance the wheels.  These wheels are quite heavy if you want to pick them up.  When they are out of balance, the innertia moment of force is considerable.  Add that repetitive force to a highly loaded tire and you can exceed the load ratings of the tire.  I bought two Goodyear tires and each one required  two to three ounces of weight to bring into balance.  I took the original Carlisle spare in to have balanced and it took two weights, one was 2.75 ounces, and the second weight was one ounce.  I would recommend that those who are concerned with the tire problem take their spare tires and have them balanced.  I believe when they see how much weight it takes to get them in balance that they will have the other tires balanced also.  I also believe that this was the root of our tire problems.  George Kaman