Thread: New 2720 Owner
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like most (but not all) TM models, the traditional 2720 comes with 14-inch tires. These tires are rated for 50 psi max, and should be run at this pressure since they don't have a lot of load-carrying margin.

It sounds like you don't have a traditional 2720, but rather the Anniversary Edition, with 15-inch tires as part of the package. Very nice! These bigger tires will carry more load at 50 psi than the 14-inch tires. They can also run at higher pressure - the stated max is 65 psi, and at this pressure, they have a LOT of load-carrying capacity.

I will agree with HarveyRV that tire pressure should be checked cold, and then not fiddled with. I will disagree with him about always inflating to the max pressure stated on the sidewall. According to Goodyear, it is quite OK to run at less than max, as long as you realize that less-than-max pressure means less-than-max the load-carrying capacity. But the load-carrying capacity of the 15-inch tires is so big that a bit of reduction is perfectly OK.

I run my 15-inch Marathons at 55-60 psi. At that pressure, they have a lot more load-carrying capacity than the 14-inch tires. I don't run them at 65 psi, because at that pressure, the tires are rock-hard, which tends to shake the trailer badly.

There is a lot of discussion about this whole issue in the "Tires Tires Tires" forum. You would do well to sit down and spend a couplke hours just reading through it all.

But I think that is the source of the confusion in the labelling. And as HarveyRV says, it would be wise never to inflate beyond the number stated on the sidewall of the tire.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote