View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #28
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Sailor -

I'm certainly not going to disagree. As I say, I'm not an ME. Welding a nut or a pipe, to relieve any point stresses at the microscopic scale, and thereby stop cracks, sounds like a good idea.

I have no idea whether the holes in the frame members of my TMs are drilled or stamped. And I don't even know how to tell.

I'm not sure I buy the "flex a piece of metal until it breaks" argument, though, since the flexing is in a different direction. In your argument, the flexing is back and forth across the plane of the hole (like breaking a cracker). In the I-beam case, it is parallel to the plane of the hole, which is much harder to do.

Where is Larry Loo when we need him?

Bill
Bill,
I'm going with your intuition on this one. It's hard to imagine a point in the web of the front of a trailer frame where drilling a 3/8 hole is going to be a failure factor, considering that the point of maximum bending load is going to be over the axle (rated for 4000# plus on a trailmanor), and you have the same steel cross section dimensions all the way to the tongue (even PopBeavers can only come up with 1100# or so in tongue weight on a 5000# trailer) (but tell me about a crack ever caused by somebody drilling a hole anywhere on a trailer frame, and I'll cheerfully catalog the experience).

For anybody who'd like to do the math:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_(s...General_shapes
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote