View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

KennetteK -

I'm sure you've read it already, but yes, you will need to add a "real" hitch to your Explorer. This means, as you said, a Class III/IV hitch receiver that is solidly bollted to the frame. Any hitch shop can do it, and I've come to the conclusion that U-Haul isn't bad. Then you'll need to get a weight-distributing hitch (WDH) to plug into the receiver. There are many good brands available - Reese and Draw-Tite are common, reasonably priced, and very good. I suggest buying what is called a trunnion hitch with about an 800-pound rating.

You do not need to start out with a sway control, and probably never will need it.

If your Explorer doesn't have a 7-pin electrical connector at the rear bumper (and it sounds like it doesn't), you'll have to have a mechanic add one. This connector carries power to the lights on the TM (running lights on the body, as well as brake lights, parking lights, and backup lights). It also carries power to the trailer's electric brakes, which you must have hooked up, and a charge line to the trailer's battery.

As you say, you will need a brake controller. For someone new to trailering, I think Prodigy is the way to go. They are not too expensive ($100-150), easy to install and use, and very good in terms of function. There are other controllers on the market, some as cheap as $50. Don't get one of the cheap ones.

Your Explorer will also need an auxiliary transmission cooler if you plan to tow anywhere other than flat land.

You'll need a set of extension mirrors. Many members (including me) are partial to McKesh mirrors, which can be had for about $100 a pair. There are less expensive mirrors, but in my opinion they don't stick out far enough to do the job. We had a pretty good discusiion here, I think
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658
and you can find others by Searching on the term "CIPA".

All of this is going to be a bit pricey, and your Explorer isn't new. If you have any thoughts about getting a new vehicle, now might be a good time to do so (especially since SUVs have gotten so cheap nowadays). If you go this route, be sure to get one with a factory-installed towing package.

And feel free to come on back here for any and all questions. The members of this board are fantastically helpful, and every question is important.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote