View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
mgoblue911

Default 15" Marathon blowout

Blowout occured last Friday evening while driving at 60 mph on I-80 eastbound in Illinois, just west of the Indiana border. I felt a little wobble in the steering wheel of my Armada, looked back in the driver's sideview mirror and saw rubber flying off my street-side trailer tire. Seconds later, it was sparks flying as the trailer was now riding on the rim as I slowed down and tried to manuveur across three lanes of extremely heavy traffic. Most people are either very considerate, or simply have good self-preservation instincts. Others can be INCREDIBLY stupid/unaware. Fortunately, there was a paved shoulder in the area, and we made it there safely.

DW and I were able to get the tire changed in about 30 minutes of harrowing activity as cars and semis roared past at 70 mph only 5 feet behind me. The whole time I was thinking about wills and life insurance, but that is another story... Fortunately, my spare was in excellent shape and still properly inflated.

We had only been driving for about an hour and had only traveled about 50 miles. I checked the pressure (~63 psi) on both trailer tires prior to leaving home. My tires are original to my 2007 3023 and have about 9K miles on them. DOT markings indicate that they were manufactured in week 40 of 2006 (4006). I did not see anything in the road that could have hit prior to the blowout. I had both tires balanced prior to our trip to Yellowstone earlier this summer. (BTW, as predicted by many on this forum, this made a noticeable difference.)

I am now skeptical about the quality of the Marathon tires. I am extrely reluctant to buy a new one to replace the blow out. However, if I change brands, I would feel compelled to get two new ones so that I was running on a matched set.

I really resent how this incident has changed how we feel while towing the trailer. I do most of the driving, and have always driven with a heightened sense of awareness while towing. I was confident in my TV and the TM, and I didn't want to be the reason something went wrong. The DW had become very comfortable and relaxed, even while towing, in the passenger seat, which is exactly what I want. Now, relaxation seems impossible for her, and irresponsible for me. We both just seem to be continuously waiting for one of the tires to blow. I hate this feeling...

I am sure time will heal this, but if I never have to change a tire under those circumstances again, it will be too soon...