View Single Post
Old 02-19-2002, 05:36 PM   #3

Default Re: New Owner - a Few Trivial Questions

Hi Denny,

My door fits together like yours does. Or, at least sounds like yours. I don't have a fix tho. I really never worried about it. Maybe I'm just too trusting. I did learn that when I open my door on a windy day, to be sure to hold the top half,,,,, the wind will pull it right off the bottom half if you just hold the door knob.

About an equalizing hitch,,,, I was always taught to just measure your truck at all four corners or wheel-wells, and adjust the hitch so that all four corners drop the same amount. If you simply cannot get it all equal, let the back drop a little more than the front. But really try to keep it equal. (My truck drops 3/4 inch in back,,, 1/2 inch up front, measured at the wheel-wells). Never, ever, let the front drop more than the back. I was taught that there were too many variables to count on a certain percentage of weight. You usually will transfer more trailer weight to a lightly-sprung truck than a stiffly-sprung one. (you will have to angle your hitch head down, and/or draw you bars up more to keep the back of the truck from sagging).

Not saying that's the way it is,,,,, just that's what I was taught.

Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Mack