Thread: Equilizer Hitch
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

With a crew cab (long wheelbase) you might not need a WDH. You might read the article in the Technical Reference Library (aka Trail Manor Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else).

In my opinion, $750 is a lot of money for a setup. A weight distributing hitch (WDH) should cost about $200 and take half an hour to install and adjust, assuming that your truck already has the Class III/IV hitch receiver. A brake controller is about $150, and an hour of labor if your truck is not pre-wired with a 7-pin trailer connector (many are). Perhaps this $750 amount includes some other goodies, like some big removeable mirrors, that increase the package cost. But if your truck is prewired, and you don't need a WDH, you should pay for the brake controller and a half hour of labor, and that's about it.

By the way, your post was titled Equalizer hitch. Be aware that there is a brand name called Equal-I-Zer. It is a good hitch, but rather expensive. People who have Equal-I-Zers tend to love them, but you can get just as good for considerably less money from Reese, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, and others. This is just a heads up - salesmen sometimes exploit the name. If I put "Kleenex" on my grocery list, that doesn't mean I have to buy Kleenex brand when I get to the store.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote