View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
kempert
Site Sponsor

Default Conm Update Ii

I've had very limited time on the net so I'm way behind on my updates. I still do not have any utilities but they are making progress. This area is in an energy boom (gas & oil exploration and retrieval) so we are waiting for the power company to get to us. Not having power wasn't a problem until the past two weeks. The high temperatures have been in the 90s during this time. The inside of the TM has been getting around 95 each afternoon. With the low humidity and frequent breezes, it would be real comfortable outside in the shade except for the biting insects. There are these little flies (the locals call them gnats) that like to "get in your face". They bite different people in different places. They get me at the edge of clothing like socks and shirt sleeves. I never feel them bite me but the bites itch later.

I'm having no problems with the TM except the refrigerator. I cannot get it to stay below 50 during this heat. I may need to get it checked (which I haven't done for 3 years now). I'm making due by putting stuff in the Visitors' Center frig which is less than 1.5 miles away (round trip). I have a small truck that they let me use to run errands in the Monument and they pay for the propane. I don't know whether it helps or not but I run the outside frig fan most of the day. When I get electricity, I'll experiment more with the frig and the fan.

I figured out an easy way to keep some of the heat out of the TM. I bought several packages (standard size) of the reflective screens that you can get to put in your car's windshield. I got the kind that you can twist into a small circle because they are thin. They slip very easily between the windows and the curtains. My inside thermometer seems to indicate that this lowers the inside temperature about 5 degrees during the hottest part of the day.

My main duties are to be in the campground area during most of the day when I'm "on duty" (primarily Thur. pm - Mon. am). We use what is basically a honor system on collecting the camping fee. I don't collect any money. I just check to see if people have registered and if they haven't I remind them to do it. If I feel that someone is "blowing me off", I call a Park Ranger and they take care of it. The thing that takes most of my time is answering questions. I also pick up trash (extremely rarely) and clean out charcoal grills (which is real easy since they can only burn charcoal). The biggest pests have been the few people who don't understand that quiet time is between 10pm & 6am. I've only had to call a Ranger twice.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away. I'll respond as quick as I can.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote