View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Joe -

By "more efficient", do you mean "more powerful"? Efficiency is a different thing.

Kayakgirls -

I believe that the unit is, in fact, a standard household unit. However, I also believe that some specially-designed air deflection panels are needed, to force the heat out of the side vent of the TM. A household air conditoner doesn't have these panels, of course, because the hot end of the unit (the back) is hanging out a window and vents perfectly well like that. The fact that the drawer above it gets really hot is a sign that the heat is trapped inside the TM. And then, of course, the air conditioner is fighting itself, which would make it seem ineffective as you note.

There have been at least two long threads about replacing the side air conditioner, and the requirements to make it vent properly. If I get a chance to look for them, I'll post a link, but I bet you can find it faster by using the Search tool. Search on the term "conditioner" or the term "Fedders" (I think that is one of the manufacturers that was involved).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote