View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

- Gettysburg, PA is pretty much the Civil War headquarters, with tons of exhibits and things to do; check out the center where they go through the troop movements using lights on a big map (bleacher seating, if I remember)

- Stop at Chocolate World in Hershey if you'd like to see how Kisses are made. You sit in a cart, and they take you through the tour in the dark, showing you the steps along the way. I believe they also sell "seconds" there.

- There are airshows (every weekend I believe) in Rhinebeck, NY with old biplanes, triplanes, and other barn stormers. Fake dog fights, tank battles, etc. The Red Baron is there. Went there often when I was a kid, and loved it, but haven't been since. They also give rides. There may be camping in nearby Catskill Park.

- In Maine, goto a mom & pop dock to get a plate of whole lobster, chowder, corn, and beer for ~$15. Can't be beat.

- Downtown Freeport is a quaint little place, and of course, is home to LL Bean. They have a factory store there...4 floors. Huge. They even teach fly fishing (with real fish) inside. There's also an outlet there selling their wares at a steep discount. It's not well marked if I remember.

- Lots of stuff to do in Boston, but you don't list it as a stop.

- Goto the farmer's market in Burlington, where you'll experience some local flavor and learn all about maple syrup. Grade A, grade B, amber, dark, etc. Free tastings. It's a brief walk up the hill from the waterfront, which is also a cool place to visit. There is also a drive-in movie theater there, with several screens, and double features at each screen. A total blast, highly recommended. We stayed at a place right across from the Lake...it has power and water, and was pretty nice. Small, maybe 30-40 sites. There's a huge campground there also, but it is complete chaos.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote