Thread: WDH or not?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Smile Pilot w/ WDH

Pilot owner here...using a WDH too. There is much discussion on the topic (Pilots and other unibody vehicles with WDH) so the search tool will provide you more but I don't think you will find an definitive answer -- even from Honda. You will have to do your research and make your own decision.
That said...a couple thoughts in no particular order, on what lead me to my decison.
1) My Pilot towing a 2720SL TM without WDH would be dangerous as the front end gets too light.
2) I decided, after research here and other sites, that the limitation by Honda is probably a liability disclaimer meant to protect Honda from someone that unwittingly cranks to much on the WDH and breaks their car.
2a) The "buckled car" seems to be an urban myth...I have yet to find someone that has personally seen or experienced it.
3) I have weighed my rig with various numbers of links dropped on the WDH so I know that I am not overloading the axles on the TV or TM.
4) My Pilot is an '04 4WD and has a 3,500/4,500 limit based on trailer or boat...I choose to use 4,000 for the TM due to the reduced profile/wind resistance.
5) We travel "semi-light" and with only two of us in the Pilot and, other than slowing down on multi-mile 5% grades (and this because I don't want to abuse the TV), we have no problems.
6) I have >7k miles towing in CA, OR, WA and see no negative impact of the WDH ie sticky windows, crinkled paint, mis-alignment of doors or hatch...

Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote