View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Unfortunately there is no “best” answer to your tire question. I too have read all the posts dealing with tire failures and the tire experiment underway with several members of the board. We are very lucky to have the benefit of Wm Tire’s experience and his knowledge of tire quality. I can only comment on our experiences.

We bought our unit used from a private party in NC. It was a year old (2003 2720 SL) then and had been lightly used. The OEM tires were 14 inch Goodyear Marathons with a production date of 2002. In 2005 and again in 2006 we went on a 3-month trip to AZ, FL, and SC before heading back home. Each year we traveled around 10,000 miles for the 3 months. There were no issues with the tires. In April of 2007 I replaced all 3 tires with another set of the 14 inch Goodyear Marathons, had steel valve stems installed and had all 3 tires balanced. Right after Christmas we departed on our third winter trip to AZ. Another 3 months on the road and 10,500 miles . . . and no issues with the tires.

Trying to make a decision is like the judge telling the jury to forget what they just heard. Having read all the posts on tires one begins to second-guess tire integrity. I am keenly aware of the possibility of a tire failure while under way and hope I never have to deal with a failure along a busy Interstate. Maintaining proper tire pressure, checking for tire damage at fuel stops, avoiding road hazards, keeping highway speed between 60 and 65 mph will all help alleviate anticipated tire failure and make your travels more enjoyable.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote